The American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) has dubbed the month of May “National Moving Month.” Kicking-off the peak moving season of the spring and summer months, reputable moving companies and rogue, unlicensed carriers alike become more active. While many organizations look out for consumers and there are some protections in place, the best protection is caution and taking solid advice. Make smart move with these tips:
- Verification – review your mover’s website for information you can verify, such as the physical address, affiliation with a national van line and AMSA membership that can be verified on the AMSA website. It’s also a good idea to search for ratings and reviews from places such as moving associations and the Better Business Bureau.
- On Paper – “Read to Move?” and “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move” information are federally required for interstate moves and similar documents may be offered for local moves by your mover, local moving associations or state consumer affairs offices.
- Documents – Start with a written estimate and attain a copy – signed if possible. And never pre-pay or put down a substantial deposit. You can reserve your moving date with a small deposit, even at the peak of the busy moving season.
- Valuation – full- or partial-value protection may be available for any move, and full valuation is included in interstate moving quotes. Always ask about it for both assurance that the mover is reputable and to protect yourself against loss of damage during your move.
- Valuables – always keep cash, jewelry and legal documents with you during the move, rather than packing them away for shipping with your movers.
- Contact – be sure to have all the necessary information to contact the moving company, and your driver directly, should the need arise.
Lincoln Storage and Moving is a proud Allied agent and AMSA member with a strong dedication to quality moving and storage service. Be cautious during your next move and select a reputable company you can trust.
- National Moving Month